Friday, May 25, 2012

If you believe they put a man on the moon ...

Seems there's quite a bit of discussion about the moon landings in Smoking Mirrors's comments this week. This is going to further strain the credibility of my blog, I know, but I've already said that I believe in reincarnation, UFO's, and chemtrails, so really, it shouldn't be that shocking to hear that I've always harbored doubts about the moon landings as well. But I happen to have at least a little expertise in a related area -- I graduated with a BA in journalism, emphasis on broadcasting. I know that as late as the early 70's network news shows arrived in Anchorage, Alaska *by plane* and had to air a day late. So you're telling me everyone got to watch the moon landing *live* from the *moon* in 1969? What kind of production team put that together? And the pictures from the moon landing were just too ... (iconic? slick? movie-like?) ... they had all the feel of a Stanley Kubrick film. So when someone showed me a website (this was in the mid 90's) that detailed how certain pictures were fake (shadows facing the wrong direction, etc.) I was fairly open minded about it. But in the end I didn't care much one way or the other. To quote Dave McGowan in his funny, must-read series of articles on the subject, Wagging the Moondoggie, it would be "a relatively benign lie." But I should have listened to the words of REM in "Man on the Moon":

If you believe they put a man on the moon, man on the moon,
If you believe there's nothing up their sleeve, then nothing is cool ...


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

The official story is always bullshit until proven otherwise.

james said...

Anonymous said...

The official story is always bullshit until proven otherwise.


Haha, so true!

There's also the wee problem of getting life through the Van Allen Belt that surrounds the earth alive. That hasn't been explained.

kenny said...

I was 17 at the time of the first moon 'landing.' A friend had an uncle who had a cafe/bar where we used to hang out and all of these old guys sitting around drinking beer kept going on about how it was faked.

We were aware of the fraud of the Vietnam War but had a hard time grasping that the moon trip was also a fraud. The old 'cranks' made fun of us for falling for the scam but I always remembered what they said about not believing anything the government said.

Anonymous said...

Go watch the movie Capricorn One.
Or just google "lunarcy".

Jody Paulson said...

I'm glad to know I'm not the only one that doesn't buy into this ...